He was born with a mild case of jaundice, common in newborns. The doctor prescribed light therapy to help with this.
This fights the high levels of bilirubin in the blood. It’s generally very safe. Unfortunately, little Matvey suffered a horrific accident during his therapy.
The lights exploded and caught fire, causing severe burns on the baby’s face and body. He was only three days old when this happened.
When she realized her baby would need special care for the rest of his life, she decided she didn’t want him anymore. How could a parent be so callous and uncaring?
Donations poured in for his medical treatments. And maybe even better, a woman named Svetlana adopted the child.
He’s doing well, but will carry scars for the rest of his life. Doctors have also been unable to fix his nose, so he wears a prosthetic.